KOLKATA: The Calcutta high court on Friday dismissed the petition challenging Y-plus category security arrangement for BJP leader after it went through a detailed submission by the Union home ministry. Roy will continue to get Y-plus category security cover by the central forces following the court order.
The case dates back to December last year when filed a in the high court and pleaded that there is a need to assess whether such security cover is being continued while there was no perceptible increase in security threat. “Before quitting the Trinamool Congress Roy returned the provided by the central government. Later he resigned from his membership at the Rajya Sabha. There has not been any security threat to him since then,” Chakraborty said.

Earlier this year West Bengal government told Calcutta high court that it will provide security to BJP leader Mukul Roy. Additional state advocate general Abhratosh Majumdar submitted that Roy was entitled to ‘Z’ security cover that was scaled down to ‘X’ category on September 25, 2017. The security was withdrawn a month later in October after Roy resigned from the Rajya Sabha.

Roy’s lawyer Partha Ghosh opposed the plea and claimed that the BJP leader’s security cover was given after consultation with the intelligence agencies. “The court had later asked the intelligence agencies to file a report regarding Roy’s security. Later the court asked the central government to file an affidavit too. The bench went through the report and dismissed the case on Friday,” Ghosh said.
Get latest news & live updates on the go on your pc with . Download The for your device. in English and other languages.