LUCKNOW: Operation Prahar, conducted by SSP Lucknow to check the response of police to alerts about robbery and loot cases, began near Raj Bhawan where a cash van guard was shot dead and his fellow security official suffered gunshot wounds in a daring heist on July 30.

After one mock drill was over, I was asked by the SSP to pose as a robber who had looted a pistol and Rs 1 crore from a person in Sikanderbagh. I was to drive to Sikanderbagh and from there, I was free to flee. Inspector Farid of antidacoity cell, clad in civvies, accompanied me on my twowheeler.

I started at 4pm from Sikanderbagh. Immediately, a message was sent to six police stations about me. My vehicle number and description and my own description were radioed. They were told I had an aide and that I had looted a pistol and Rs 1crore cash.

I drove easily through Madam Mohan Malviya Marg, reached Gokhale Marg and then moved towards Balu Adda. Sub-inspector Mahendra Singh of outpost near Prag Narain Road was alert and stopped my vehicle immediately. The SSP was informed and he told Singh of the drill. Singh was awarded by the SSP.

I was let off and the SSP then asked me to head towards Gomtinagar. All police stations in Gomtinagar, which include a dozen outposts, were given the same details about the fleeing robber.

I started from WPL 1090 crossing and moved towards Samtamulak crossing via Gandhi Setu. To my utter surprise, police did not stop me. I moved easily towards Lohia crossing, where no police personnel was deployed despite the alert. I took the road to CMS and evaded another checkpost near City Mall. I continued till Capt Manoj Pandey crossing, which is very close to Gomtinagar police station. I was not stopped even at Husadia crossing, which had received a specific alert and where some police personnel were deployed. In front of Seth MR Jaipuria School was another outpost but it did not check me.

Finally, I gave in and went and stood in front of the police team at Husadia crossing. I waited for around seven minutes when constable walked up to me to ask why I was there. It was 4.27pm then.

The police team knew about the case but notices me only once I had stopped. As we engaged in a conversation, senior police officials arrived. The SSP, who was also there, sent sub-inspector Harendra Singh from Husadia outpost to lines for failing to stop me despite the alert. Other police personnel were also warned.
Get latest news & live updates on the go on your pc with . Download The for your device. in English and other languages.